What We Do
In addition to the work done in each of the regions, ARECA oversees province-wide initiatives including the Sustainable Regional Variety Trials, Integrated Pest Management and Risk Management Strategies in Wheat and Other Cereals, the GPS Industrial Site Monitoring Project, and the Alberta Forage Industry Network.
ARECA and its Member Associations participate in and organize a wide variety of conferences and information sessions for producers. Some of these include:
- Western Canadian Grazing Conference
- Forage Agronomy Update
- Workshops on age verification, riparian health assessment, ranching & marketing for women, crop strategy, energy efficiency and more
- Various farm and field tours at locations throughout Alberta
ARECA and its Member Associations:
- Are driven by producer-run boards.
- Represent directly approximately 1500 producers in the province, who are members of the Associations, with another 50,000 plus receiving information through newsletters and events.
- Provide a direct link for industry and government to the producers, and linking producers with agricultural researchers.
- Work directly with producers to improve agricultural practices for long-term economic and environmental sustainability.
- Partner with hundreds of groups around Alberta, representing private industry, all levels of government, and producer and environmental groups.
- Accumulate large libraries of information for producers and agriculture industry personnel.
- Prepare and distribute regular newsletters and magazines containing up-to-date, timely information.
- Produce annual reports with detailed information about all the past year's activities.
- Host Workshops, Grazing Schools, Tours, Seminars, Conferences and other extension activities covering a wide variety of topics from crops, forages and livestock to agro-forestry, medicinal and other special crops.
- Conduct applied research plots and demonstration sites, showcasing everything from new varieties to beneficial agronomic practices.
- Employ knowledgeable staff able to quickly respond to the changing needs of the agriculture industry.
- Represent all the agro-ecological and soil zones in Alberta.
- Provide agronomic and extension support
- Work together to avoid duplication, increase efficiency and capture opportunities.
Back to About ARECA Page